Why Aurifil Thread? Why do we love this thread so much!?
Aurifil creates 100% cotton thread that is geared towards quilters. Made in Italy, the quality of the thread is made from long staple Egyptian Cotton meant to make your projects last and look amazing. The company was founded in 1983 creating thread for both commercial and domestic quilting. They began making it available for American quilters in 2007. Pink Castle Fabrics sells Aurifil thread both in store and online!
Pink Castle Fabrics
a good selection of Aurifil thread in several weights.
- 50wt that is perfect for machine applique, machine embroidery, piecing, and quilting. It’s also perfect for hand sewing (such as quilt binding), too! It comes on three different sized spools: small spools (220 yds), large spools (1,422 yds), and cones (6452 yds).
- 40wt is used the same way as 50wt; machine piecing and quilting. 40wt thread is actually the most popular thread for machine embroidery! It’s great for quilting or top stitching as well. Spool sizes: small (164 yds), large (1094 yds), and cones (5140 yds).
- 28wt is great for machine work including serging and quilting, but also great for handwork such as cross stitch and hand piecing and hand quilting. Spool sizes: small (109 yds), large (820 yds), and cones (3609 yds).
- 12wt can also be used with machines and for hand work. The thickness will give your project a bold look. It can be used in sergers, for machine embroidery, and machine redwork. It’s great for cross stitch or back stitching, hand embroidery, and hand quilting. Spool sizes:small (54 yds), large (356 yds), and cones (1931 yds).
- 6 Stranded AuriFloss is also available, which is perfect for all sorts of hand work! Cross stitch, embroidery, even tatting! The floss comes on a cute wooden spool with 18 yards!
|Tula Pink’s Moonshine Collection|
|Tula Pink’s Moonshine Color Palette|
|One Room Schoolhouse Aurifil Design Box|
threads will shed as you sew with them, these typically use a shorter staple cotton when being made or don’t go through the mercerization process. The friction of the thread rubbing against the needle and other metal and plastic parts of the machine is too much for it, causing bits to shed off here and there, causing the thread to lose its strength (and sometimes even break).
|Machine that used lower-quality thread
This shedding will also cause your machine to become dusty long before it’s due to be serviced and cleaned (which should be once a year). Dust can quickly turn into lint that gets in the way of the moving parts of your sewing machine. Aurifil threads don’t shed like lower quality threads. Your sewing machine will stay cleaner for longer and will be less likely to need to be fully serviced each year. As a company that cleans and services sewing machines in-shop, we have been able to tell the difference between a machine used with threads bought at a big box craft store versus the Aurifil thread we sell in our family owned shop.
Questions, comments, concerns? E-mail Molly@pinkcastlefabrics.com
Also, feel free to visit Aurifil’s Website here.